The SIIP project has two core objectives related to research:
- Contribute new research evidence about effective strategies to reduce barriers and promote social inclusion, and
- Establish a shared approach to measuring social isolation in the community and identifying individuals in need of support.
To help achieve our objectives, the SIIP Team will:
- assess research gaps
- identify opportunities to connect with existing community-based research projects related to dementia and/or social isolation
- engage and support student researchers through the provision of research stipends, and
- create meaningful roles for older adults and youth to participate in research and evaluation as co-investigators.
SIIP Research LeadCarrie McAiney, PhD, is an Associate Professor in the School of Public Health and Health Systems at the University of Waterloo, the Schlegel Research Chair in Dementia with the RIA, and Scientific Director of the Murray Alzheimer Research and Education Program (MAREP). As a health services researcher, Carrie works collaboratively with persons living with dementia, family care partners, providers and organizations to evaluate the impact and implementation of interventions and approaches that aim to enhance care and support for individuals living with dementia and their family members, and to improve the quality of work life for dementia care staff.
Research at the RIA
The Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging (RIA) is a non-profit, charitable foundation tackling some of the biggest issues facing an aging population. By advancing research and driving innovation, the RIA pushes the envelope to discover and share solutions that make a difference to older adults everywhere.
The RIA knows social isolation is an issue affecting many older adults and we work to create solutions. We find new, life-affirming ways to care for people living with dementia, to create meaning and happiness. We explore technologies that enhance care and quality of life, and we help develop a more qualified workforce to care for our aging population.
SIIP is the latest RIA project to bring research to practice in the community.
Find out more about research at the RIA »